Photo Credit: Burning Man 2022: Waking Dreams
CALL FOR ARTISTS
Calling all artists, creatives, and dreamers. We want you to be a part of the second Golden Gallery interactive art exhibit at Burning Man, August 28—September 4, 2022.
The Golden Gallery is a 12′ x 8′ space looking to feature a variety of artists.
Painters, sculptors, printmakers, photographers, graphic artists, mixed media, illustrators, technologists, mixologists, performance artists, whatever you can dream up, we want it all!
This is perfect opportunity for artists that don’t have the means to get a large scale piece to the playa – show us a tiny version of it! Not able to go home yourself this year? Send your art instead!
The 2022 Burning Man theme will explore the transformative power of dreams, both literal and figurative, and celebrate the dreamers who channel this potent energy in eye-opening, often surrealistic, sometimes life-changing ways. Because after all what is Black Rock City if not a collective manifestation of the community’s dreams?
“I dreamed I was a butterfly, flitting around in the sky; then I awoke. Now I wonder: Am I a man who dreamt of being a butterfly, or am I a butterfly dreaming that I am a man?”
What dreams do you find yourself commonly waking up to? How has Burning Man been dreamlike for you? What if this was all a dream within a dream?
“The world needs dreamers and the world needs doers. But above all, the world needs dreamers who do.”
– Sarah Ban Breathnach
The gallery features 2D, 3D, and experiential art exhibits. Some frames open to explore more and the bar inside features UV reactive art. We welcome all forms of interactive expression and can’t wait to hear your idea!
EXPLORE THE THEME
We encourage artists to dig in to the 2022 Waking Dream theme and
play with the following Golden Gallery themes:
- exploration : discovery : interactivity
- curiosity : surprise : delight
- astral travel : surrealism : meta-reality
- dreams : reality : wakefullness
- awareness : connection : interaction
Artworks will be selected based upon the following criteria:
An artistic vision that plays with the Waking Dream theme. If the art has yet to be created, sketches or a portfolio of previous work should be included in the application.
Proposals should include:
- Concept Statement – What is your concept of the artwork to be featured? How will it demonstrate the themes noted above?
- Design Sketch – Show your conceptual idea, lo-fi sketches or inspiration boards are fine.
- Work Samples – Link to your portfolio or an attachment of relevant previous work.
- Technical requirements – List any technical or special requirements such as:
- Power requirements – if needed
- Lighting plans – required if 3D
- May 10, 2022: Submissions open
- June 15, 2022: Submissions close
- June 23, 2022: Selected artists notified
- August 1st, 2022: Artwork completed and shipped
Available funds for artists are dependent upon community donations. We aim to reimburse the cost of printing or shipping artwork. Artwork can be returned upon request, but will be covered in playa dust.
Artwork Details / Requirements
- Art will need to be a predetermined size, which will be finalized after artists selection. Sizes range from 4″ x 4″ to 23″ x 17″.
- 3D artists will be sent a box to build their art inside. The boxes will be installed behind the frames.
- Live painters will have a primed 16′ x 8′ wall to paint on.
- Art must be able to withstand the elements on playa, with all parts secured. No moopy art allowed.
- Pieces will need to be finished and shipped the first week of August.
- The Golden Gallery is powered by the sun, if your piece requires power, please keep it as efficient as possible.
- 3D artwork should include LED lighting, solar or USB preferred.
- Power requirements should be detailed in the artist’s proposal.
- Lightweight materials are preferable.